Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Renter

Now I think literature is rich with weird, secretive, and otherwise strange characters that occupy the attics of the normal main characters of stories. I believe Mrs. Rochester is probably the most notable. Totally unintentionally I have become such an attic dweller. However, having realized this, I intend on making the most of it and totally fulfilling the expectations of this literary tradition.

photo credit: wordpress.com

About 3 months ago I entered into a rental contract with a very nice old woman. I would rent a room in her attic that was very much to my liking and she would live on the main floor. This was very good. However after about a month the old woman left to take care of a relative and a family replaced her. A family complete with 2 young girls. Now the shift was rather odd but I acquainted myself with the parents and things looked to be on the verge of continuing on quite normally. That is until I noticed that a pair of small eyes were seemingly following me about my day.

I first noticed my wide eyed followers peering out the window at me as I was headed to work. I quickly turned around in a fury but just like that they were gone. Obviously these children meant business. Next I noticed little sounds coming from the bottom of the steps. Like large rodents creeping about trying to eat my shoes that were kept there, but when I opened the door to confront the rodents all that remained were giggles. Giggling rodents? Not likely, they don't much like eating shoes.

It was clear I was being watched so I have taken up a new personality to increase the intrigue. Whenever I leave I do so with the collar of my coat thrown up as high on my face as possible and with a hat scarf or newspaper covering the rest of my face. So dressed I come storming down the stairs stopping only briefly to look over my shoulder before running out the door to my car. I have also started taking my trash out just at the onset of dusk, dragging the bag along the ground and being sure to check for any observers before stuffing it in the can and then again dashing inside.

The next steps to completing my persona include dropping pieces of papers with magazine letter cut out messages and stashing things in a hole in a tree across the street Boo Radley style.

photo credit: thedeathwriter.blogspot.com 
This should keep me entertained for some time and the children seem to be quite enjoying it. Even the parents seem to be getting in on the game.

AJM

No comments:

Post a Comment