Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fetching a Dog Toy

My loyal followers, do I have loyal followers yet? Probably not or ever. Anyway, my loyal followers tonight I did something that I suspect might qualify me for institutionalization. So if there are any pathologists, psychologists, psychiatrists, fortune tellers or other interesting viewers among you all feel free to comment.

So it being Sunday, today I had to go to the local laundromat and engage my time in the washing and drying of my garments. Usually this process continues pretty unremarkably. I put my laundry in the washer go to CVS and grab some Arizona green tea and then read my economics text book for the remaining 27 minutes of wash time before transferring everything into the dryer and resuming my reading. Today, however, as I was transferring everything from washer to dryer I discovered something that was decidedly not mine in with my clothes. Quite beside myself at having discovered such a strange thing I thought to take a photo.


Now it was not only the missing eye and general demonic presence of the thing that alerted me but the fact that it was apparently a dog toy. A dog toy on which a dog had presumably been chewing and slobbering. A dog toy which I had just washed with my clothes. So I immediately rewashed all my clothes double checking to make sure there were no other treasures to be found. An hour and eight minutes later I packed up my laundry and returned home leaving the little bugger on top of the washer in which I found him. 

Some hours later I decided to upload the photo to instagram and to document my experience with some catchy caption. After some time a girl with whom I retain some feelings that are romantically inclined commented on the photo describing that it was her dog's toy and asking if I took it. Now naturally this caused an irreversible cascade of ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and then actions that ultimately ended in me immediately driving back to the aforementioned laundromat and retrieving the little bugger before it closed for the night.

Fetching the toy became absolutely compulsory. I left my dinner on the table and charged out the house with out a jacket. Now as I was driving back from the laundromat with the damned thing stuffed snugly in my breast pocket I realized that it was very possible that the above mentioned girls comments were in fact a joke. As I walked back to my room passing under street lights the whole began to seem quite foolish. I had gone 20 minutes out of my way to retrieve an old nasty dog toy that may or may not belong to a girl that may or may not like me. 

So now here I sit. the damned bugger mocking me. For I cannot sum up the courage to ask if the girl if she would like it returned for fear of it having been a joke yet I cannot dispose of the cursed thing for fear of her asking for it some day. So here I sit. Writing as a man that is wholly imprisoned, thought and deeds, by a dirty, old, pink, one-eyed dog toy. It's like some stupid child's re-writing of the raven. Only instead of saying nevermore it says "fetch boy."

No comments:

Post a Comment